Lip balm, lighters taken from vehicleMarch 14,2013Lip balm, lighters
taken from vehicle
A Rutland man is accused of breaking into a car in the Green Mountain Shopping Plaza and stealing, among other things, lip balm and several lighters.
Police were called to the plaza on Route 7 in Rutland Town at 1:44 p.m. Tuesday for a report of someone trying to steal DVDs from Hannaford’s supermarket.
But en route, police were notified that the suspect had moved to the parking lot where a Center Rutland woman said she found a man rooting through her car.
When the woman confronted the man, he turned over several items to her — including the lip balm and lighters — and then fled behind the Holiday Inn, police said.
After a short foot chase, police say they apprehended Brandon Luther, 21, hiding in a group of trees.
Luther was charged with petty larceny and was taken to the Rutland jail on an outstanding arrest warrant related to another incident.
He was issued a citation to appear in Rutland criminal court to answer to the larceny charge next month.MORE IN This Just InMONTPELIER — With just days to go before the Democratic primaries, and a sitting governor and... Full StoryBOSTON — Red Sox manager John Farrell calls outfielder Rusney Castillo “an exciting, athletic... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Will Rutland Plywood rebuild? Depends on the insurance settlement; Kevin O'Connor reports from the late U.S. senator Jim Jeffords' Friday funeral; state maps strategy to reduce prescription drug abuse.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Jim Jeffords' legacy, Brandon takes a few questions about proposed budget, beleaguered city playground likely to move, woman awakes to find strange man with knives standing at her bedside.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Former U.S. Senator James Jeffords dies Monday in Washington D.C., a local man is beaten and robbed while walking on West Street, Clarendon sets a tax rate and Brandon convenes an informational public meeting about its budget.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1915, the New York World publishes scoop: Thom. Edison diverts chemical from war production to help German pharmaceutical company make aspirin; on this day in 1935, Will Rogers, Wiley Post die in Alaska plane crash.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: State panel briefed on smuggling drugs into prisons; new French-German documentary about Vermont's heroin addiction; solar project at Vets Home falls apart; update dispute between Open Door Mission and treatment center.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Climatologists might not know as much about El Nino as they thought they knew. New studies show 10,000 years ago, El Nino was active, and polar ice sheets were rapidly melting — just like today.