Lip balm, lighters taken from vehicleMarch 14,2013Lip balm, lighters
taken from vehicle
A Rutland man is accused of breaking into a car in the Green Mountain Shopping Plaza and stealing, among other things, lip balm and several lighters.
Police were called to the plaza on Route 7 in Rutland Town at 1:44 p.m. Tuesday for a report of someone trying to steal DVDs from Hannaford’s supermarket.
But en route, police were notified that the suspect had moved to the parking lot where a Center Rutland woman said she found a man rooting through her car.
When the woman confronted the man, he turned over several items to her — including the lip balm and lighters — and then fled behind the Holiday Inn, police said.
After a short foot chase, police say they apprehended Brandon Luther, 21, hiding in a group of trees.
Luther was charged with petty larceny and was taken to the Rutland jail on an outstanding arrest warrant related to another incident.
He was issued a citation to appear in Rutland criminal court to answer to the larceny charge next month.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.