sought for 5 dams
SAXTONS RIVER — A group that works to protect the Connecticut River says it wants tougher standards for five dams on the waterway as they come up for relicensing.
The Connecticut River Watershed Council is weighing in as the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission considers whether to grant new 30-year licenses to the Wilder, Bellows Falls and Vernon dams between Vermont and New Hampshire, and the Turners Falls Dam and Northfield Mountain Pump Storage project in Massachusetts.
The council is calling for improved fishing and boating access, better portage facilities, more and better campsites along the river, and migratory fish viewing facilities that support educational programs and are accessible for the disabled.
It also wants studies conducted to see whether it would be better to decommission and remove one or more of the dams.MORE IN Vermont NewsMONTPELIER — Vermont has tied for third place in the 2014 energy efficiency scorecard put out by... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1935, New York gangster, bootlegger, ruthless murderer Dutch Schultz, born Arthur Flegenheimer to Jewish-German immigrant parents, and three associates gunned down, killed, at the Palace Chophouse in Newark, N.J.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.