sought for 5 dams
SAXTONS RIVER — A group that works to protect the Connecticut River says it wants tougher standards for five dams on the waterway as they come up for relicensing.
The Connecticut River Watershed Council is weighing in as the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission considers whether to grant new 30-year licenses to the Wilder, Bellows Falls and Vernon dams between Vermont and New Hampshire, and the Turners Falls Dam and Northfield Mountain Pump Storage project in Massachusetts.
The council is calling for improved fishing and boating access, better portage facilities, more and better campsites along the river, and migratory fish viewing facilities that support educational programs and are accessible for the disabled.
It also wants studies conducted to see whether it would be better to decommission and remove one or more of the dams.MORE IN Vermont NewsMONTPELIER — Different people have different stars. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.