BURLINGTON — University of Vermont police have arrested three people from New York on suspicion of bringing about $70,000 worth of drugs by bus.
Police said they seized 1,400 bags of heroin, 1,000 oxycodone pills and 4 ounces of crack cocaine during the arrests this week of Shirley Colon, 21, and, Desean Nisbett, 21, both of the Bronx, and Sahirah Rasul, 17, of Brooklyn. More arrests are possible, police said.
UVM Police Capt. Tim Bilodeau said that campus, municipal and federal law enforcement have for months been aware of potential criminal activity where the Megabus docks at the university’s Davis Center, UVM Police Capt. Tim Bilodeau told the Burlington Free Press.
“We were aware there was information in the police community that the buses had criminal activity around drugs. We’ve specifically made our patrol aware of it for weeks now,” he said Thursday.
Megabus.com/Coach USA spokesman Mike Alvich said his company had been notified of the drug investigation.
“We cooperated 100 percent, and the authorities then moved in and made some arrests,” he said.MORE IN Vermont NewsThe Senate on Tuesday advanced a GMO labeling bill that sets Vermont on a course to be the first... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Woodstock Ave. lane reconfiguration trial will go forward despite resistance, Rutland city engineer decamps for greener pastures in flatlands, technology changes the way many people file tax returns.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Gulf wildlife still dying from 2010 BP oil spill, Veena in Cabo San Lucas, Gertrude Stein on family living, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Police officer identified in deadly Brattleboro shooting, school consolidation boosters silent on savings, lawmakers nix legal marijuana for PTSD and scrap yard helps solve half-ton heist.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Coyotes are true American survivors, Veena on Narragansett Pier, Vladimir Nabokov in Paris.