BURLINGTON — University of Vermont police have arrested three people from New York on suspicion of bringing about $70,000 worth of drugs by bus.
Police said they seized 1,400 bags of heroin, 1,000 oxycodone pills and 4 ounces of crack cocaine during the arrests this week of Shirley Colon, 21, and, Desean Nisbett, 21, both of the Bronx, and Sahirah Rasul, 17, of Brooklyn. More arrests are possible, police said.
UVM Police Capt. Tim Bilodeau said that campus, municipal and federal law enforcement have for months been aware of potential criminal activity where the Megabus docks at the university’s Davis Center, UVM Police Capt. Tim Bilodeau told the Burlington Free Press.
“We were aware there was information in the police community that the buses had criminal activity around drugs. We’ve specifically made our patrol aware of it for weeks now,” he said Thursday.
Megabus.com/Coach USA spokesman Mike Alvich said his company had been notified of the drug investigation.
“We cooperated 100 percent, and the authorities then moved in and made some arrests,” he said.MORE IN Vermont News
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.