BURLINGTON — University of Vermont police have arrested three people from New York on suspicion of bringing about $70,000 worth of drugs by bus.
Police said they seized 1,400 bags of heroin, 1,000 oxycodone pills and 4 ounces of crack cocaine during the arrests this week of Shirley Colon, 21, and, Desean Nisbett, 21, both of the Bronx, and Sahirah Rasul, 17, of Brooklyn. More arrests are possible, police said.
UVM Police Capt. Tim Bilodeau said that campus, municipal and federal law enforcement have for months been aware of potential criminal activity where the Megabus docks at the university’s Davis Center, UVM Police Capt. Tim Bilodeau told the Burlington Free Press.
“We were aware there was information in the police community that the buses had criminal activity around drugs. We’ve specifically made our patrol aware of it for weeks now,” he said Thursday.
Megabus.com/Coach USA spokesman Mike Alvich said his company had been notified of the drug investigation.
“We cooperated 100 percent, and the authorities then moved in and made some arrests,” he said.MORE IN Vermont News
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.