Vt. school closes over mass illnessMarch 08,2013Vt. school closes
over mass illness
BRIDPORT — The Vermont Health Department is investigating conditions at a school in Bridport after about 80 of the 130 students and staff either called in or went home sick.
The illnesses were reported Wednesday at the Bridport Central School. The district has called off school for Thursday and Friday as it sanitizes the building.
The Health Department is testing samples from those who are sick.
Symptoms included diarrhea and vomiting. Infectious disease epidemiologist Bradley Tompkins said it could be the Norovirus, also known as stomach flu.
Students in preschool through sixth grade attend the school.MORE IN This Just InThe Associated Press Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Researchers find new species of hominid, the Denisovans, and follow genetic evidence that place them across a wide swath of the globe before extinction 40,000 years ago.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Proctor estate sale hits serious legal speed bump, Rutland Town wraps up solar project regulations, Patty Minichiello interviews visiting sculptor in West Rutland and Castleton Crackers honored with national award.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Tamerlane, in 1401 on this day, lays waste to Baghdad; 'Rock Around The Clock' hits No. 1 on Billboard chart in 1955, stays there for eight weeks.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Texas towns, shaken by earthquakes linked to fracking for gas and oil, are fed up and scared, want to ban the practice,
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Fracking linked to 100-fold increase in Oklahoma earthquakes.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Roswell: Weather balloon, invasion from outer space or primitive spy op? You decide. Francis Gary Powers faces the music on this day and it's Russian pop hits, Elisabeth Kubler-Ross born this day and the Mahatma eschews violence.