Vt. school closes over mass illnessMarch 08,2013Vt. school closes
over mass illness
BRIDPORT — The Vermont Health Department is investigating conditions at a school in Bridport after about 80 of the 130 students and staff either called in or went home sick.
The illnesses were reported Wednesday at the Bridport Central School. The district has called off school for Thursday and Friday as it sanitizes the building.
The Health Department is testing samples from those who are sick.
Symptoms included diarrhea and vomiting. Infectious disease epidemiologist Bradley Tompkins said it could be the Norovirus, also known as stomach flu.
Students in preschool through sixth grade attend the school.MORE IN This Just InStaff Report Full StoryBy Brent Curtis Full StoryBy Erin Mansfield Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.