Kainen appointed Windsor County state’s attorneyStaff Report | March 08,2013MONTPELIER – Gov. Peter Shumlin announced today that he has tapped Orange County Deputy State’s Attorney Michael Kainen to serve as state’s attorney in Windsor County, effective March 23.
Kainen will replace current Windsor County State’s Attorney Robert Sand, who is joining the Shumlin administration to help redefine drunk-driving sentencing and treatment efforts to reduce recidivism rates.
In addition to serving as deputy state’s attorney in Orange County, Kainen teaches criminal justice and other legal courses at the Community College of Vermont.
He was an attorney with Hayes and Windish, PC, from 2008 to 2011, focusing on civil litigation, while also sitting as acting district judge in Orange and Windsor counties.
He was executive director of the Vermont Sentencing Commission from 2007-2008, and served in the Vermont House of Representatives for eight years as a member of the House Judiciary Committee.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.