Kainen appointed Windsor County state’s attorneyStaff Report | March 08,2013MONTPELIER – Gov. Peter Shumlin announced today that he has tapped Orange County Deputy State’s Attorney Michael Kainen to serve as state’s attorney in Windsor County, effective March 23.
Kainen will replace current Windsor County State’s Attorney Robert Sand, who is joining the Shumlin administration to help redefine drunk-driving sentencing and treatment efforts to reduce recidivism rates.
In addition to serving as deputy state’s attorney in Orange County, Kainen teaches criminal justice and other legal courses at the Community College of Vermont.
He was an attorney with Hayes and Windish, PC, from 2008 to 2011, focusing on civil litigation, while also sitting as acting district judge in Orange and Windsor counties.
He was executive director of the Vermont Sentencing Commission from 2007-2008, and served in the Vermont House of Representatives for eight years as a member of the House Judiciary Committee.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.