Rutland Town School cuts budget, schedules new voteBy Josh O'Gorman
Staff Writer | March 07,2013The Rutland Town School Board wasted no time trimming its budget by $128,000 for a revote March 26.
During a meeting Wednesday night, one day after town meeting, the board adopted a proposed budget of $7,999,000, an increase of $326,085, or 4.2 percent, more than the current budget of $7,672,915.
Tuesday, by a 22-vote margin, residents rejected a proposed budget of $8,127,036, which represented an increase of 5.9 percent, or $454,120.
There will be an informational meeting at 7 p.m., March 25, at Rutland Town School. Voters will cast their votes the following day, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. at the town hall and the school.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.