North Bennington has new school trusteesBy Patrick McArdle
Staff Writer | March 07,2013NORTH BENNINGTON — Officials at the Village School of North Bennington released a list this week of seven locals who have joined their board of trustees.
Jeb Gorham, Don McKenna, Jeanne McWaters, David Monks, Rachel Schumacher, Peter Niles and Meg Woolmington join local residents Brian McKenna and Eva Sutton on the board. Because the board oversees an independent school, its members are not elected. Biographies of the members of the board are expected to be posted to the website, vsnb.org, shortly.
The Village School of North Bennington, which will use the building and grounds of the North Bennington Graded School, is expected to open for the 2013-14 school year. The graded school, which is a public school, is scheduled to close at the end of the current school year so the independent school can open at the same site.
The School Board in the village, the North Bennington Prudential Committee, will continue to operate although they will now be considered a “non-operating district” because they don’t operate a public school.
On Tuesday, voters approved the North Bennington school budget of $2,317,535. The budget had to be voted in two parts by state law because North Bennington spent more per pupil than the state average last year and the proposed budget is more than last year’s budget adjusted for inflation.
The votes on the budget were 205-147 and 196-153.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 365 CE, eastern Mediterranean rocked by high magnitude earthquake and tsunami, in 1865, Davis 'Little Dave' Tutt meets Wild Bill Hickock in Springfield, Mo., to settle differences.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Pesticides in soil and ground water are killing not only honey bees and other useful insects, but songbirds as well.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Judge issues deposition order in for city police corporal's lawsuit against the department, market for marijuana-laced edibles en fuego in at least two states, West Rutland truck fire consumes all driver's earthly possessions.