Shirley M. RochelleMarch 06,2013Shirley M. Rochelle
ARLINGTON — Shirley M. Rochelle, 86, beloved wife of Gordon Rochelle, died Monday, March 3, 2013, at Southwestern Vermont Medical Center in Bennington.
Shirley was born Shirley Marilyn Gillette to William and Cora Gillette on October 11, 1926, at her family home in Richmond, Vermont. She was raised and attended schools in Richmond. After school, for a time, she worked as a telephone operator.
She married Gordon Rochelle, also of Richmond, on October 11, 1947. They celebrated their 65th anniversary in October 2012.
Shirley’s lifelong passion was being a loving wife and mother, caring and spending time with all of her family. She gave of herself tirelessly and effortlessly. She will always be remembered for her many talents in the kitchen, especially her mouth-watering homemade bread and doughnuts.
She cherished time spent with her family and thoroughly enjoyed her treasured grandchildren, nieces and nephews.
Shirley is survived by her husband, Gordon of Arlington; her daughter, Wendy Rochelle Croft of Arlington; beloved grandchildren; brother-in-law Fred Taylor of Hampton, New York; several adoring nieces and nephews; loving friends, Norman and Sharon Brown and family, and Doug and Janet Webster.
In addition to her parents, Shirley was preceded in death by her son, Shane Rochelle; her daughter-in-law, Fran Rochelle; her grandson, Matthew Joseph Rochelle; her sister, Beulah Taylor; her brother, Joseph Gillette; two nephews and a niece-in-law.
At the request of the family, funeral services will be held at a later date. Visiting hours will be held Friday, March 8, 2013, from 4-7 p.m. at Hanson-Walbridge & Shea Funeral Home, Historic Route 7A, Arlington, Vermont.
If friends desire, memorial gifts in Shirley’s memory may be made to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation or to Lenny Burke’s Farm (Traumatic Brain Injury), c/o Hanson-Walbridge & Shea Funeral Home, PO Box 528, Arlington, VT 05250.
To send the family personal email condolences, please visit www.sheafuneralhomes.com.
The family has entrusted arrangements to the care of Hanson-Walbridge & Shea Funeral Home, Historic Route 7A, Arlington, Vermont.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1898, Nelson Miles leads American troops into Puerto Rico during Spanish-American War, Bob Dylan electrifies Newport Folk Festival in 1965, author and longshoreman Eric Hoffer born this day in 1902.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information for Friday, July 25, and easily digestible news tidbits: Mysterious enormous hole in the Siberian tundra baffles scientists.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Ever wonder why the otherwise straight-lined Appalachian chain's got a big crimp in it in Pennsylvania and and New York?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Scott Milne opens campaign for governor's office, crime statistics fall in city, new home for homeless prevention center, traffic cameras are not watching you, capital panel hears testimony about protecting children.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.