Shirley M. RochelleMarch 06,2013Shirley M. Rochelle
ARLINGTON — Shirley M. Rochelle, 86, beloved wife of Gordon Rochelle, died Monday, March 3, 2013, at Southwestern Vermont Medical Center in Bennington.
Shirley was born Shirley Marilyn Gillette to William and Cora Gillette on October 11, 1926, at her family home in Richmond, Vermont. She was raised and attended schools in Richmond. After school, for a time, she worked as a telephone operator.
She married Gordon Rochelle, also of Richmond, on October 11, 1947. They celebrated their 65th anniversary in October 2012.
Shirley’s lifelong passion was being a loving wife and mother, caring and spending time with all of her family. She gave of herself tirelessly and effortlessly. She will always be remembered for her many talents in the kitchen, especially her mouth-watering homemade bread and doughnuts.
She cherished time spent with her family and thoroughly enjoyed her treasured grandchildren, nieces and nephews.
Shirley is survived by her husband, Gordon of Arlington; her daughter, Wendy Rochelle Croft of Arlington; beloved grandchildren; brother-in-law Fred Taylor of Hampton, New York; several adoring nieces and nephews; loving friends, Norman and Sharon Brown and family, and Doug and Janet Webster.
In addition to her parents, Shirley was preceded in death by her son, Shane Rochelle; her daughter-in-law, Fran Rochelle; her grandson, Matthew Joseph Rochelle; her sister, Beulah Taylor; her brother, Joseph Gillette; two nephews and a niece-in-law.
At the request of the family, funeral services will be held at a later date. Visiting hours will be held Friday, March 8, 2013, from 4-7 p.m. at Hanson-Walbridge & Shea Funeral Home, Historic Route 7A, Arlington, Vermont.
If friends desire, memorial gifts in Shirley’s memory may be made to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation or to Lenny Burke’s Farm (Traumatic Brain Injury), c/o Hanson-Walbridge & Shea Funeral Home, PO Box 528, Arlington, VT 05250.
To send the family personal email condolences, please visit www.sheafuneralhomes.com.
The family has entrusted arrangements to the care of Hanson-Walbridge & Shea Funeral Home, Historic Route 7A, Arlington, Vermont.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.