Shirley M. RochelleMarch 06,2013Shirley M. Rochelle
ARLINGTON — Shirley M. Rochelle, 86, beloved wife of Gordon Rochelle, died Monday, March 3, 2013, at Southwestern Vermont Medical Center in Bennington.
Shirley was born Shirley Marilyn Gillette to William and Cora Gillette on October 11, 1926, at her family home in Richmond, Vermont. She was raised and attended schools in Richmond. After school, for a time, she worked as a telephone operator.
She married Gordon Rochelle, also of Richmond, on October 11, 1947. They celebrated their 65th anniversary in October 2012.
Shirley’s lifelong passion was being a loving wife and mother, caring and spending time with all of her family. She gave of herself tirelessly and effortlessly. She will always be remembered for her many talents in the kitchen, especially her mouth-watering homemade bread and doughnuts.
She cherished time spent with her family and thoroughly enjoyed her treasured grandchildren, nieces and nephews.
Shirley is survived by her husband, Gordon of Arlington; her daughter, Wendy Rochelle Croft of Arlington; beloved grandchildren; brother-in-law Fred Taylor of Hampton, New York; several adoring nieces and nephews; loving friends, Norman and Sharon Brown and family, and Doug and Janet Webster.
In addition to her parents, Shirley was preceded in death by her son, Shane Rochelle; her daughter-in-law, Fran Rochelle; her grandson, Matthew Joseph Rochelle; her sister, Beulah Taylor; her brother, Joseph Gillette; two nephews and a niece-in-law.
At the request of the family, funeral services will be held at a later date. Visiting hours will be held Friday, March 8, 2013, from 4-7 p.m. at Hanson-Walbridge & Shea Funeral Home, Historic Route 7A, Arlington, Vermont.
If friends desire, memorial gifts in Shirley’s memory may be made to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation or to Lenny Burke’s Farm (Traumatic Brain Injury), c/o Hanson-Walbridge & Shea Funeral Home, PO Box 528, Arlington, VT 05250.
To send the family personal email condolences, please visit www.sheafuneralhomes.com.
The family has entrusted arrangements to the care of Hanson-Walbridge & Shea Funeral Home, Historic Route 7A, Arlington, Vermont.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.