Solzhenitsyn article passes in CavendishMarch 05,2013Solzhenitsyn article
passes in Cavendish
CAVENDISH — Voters overwhelmingly passed an article Monday at town meeting to assume ownership of the Universalist Stone Church, which will hold an Alexander Solzhenitysn exhibit.
The article asked voters to accept the gift of the historic Universalist Church property at 2295 Main St. in Cavendish from the Universalist Unitarian Convention of Vermont and Quebec.
The building will be owned by the town and leased to the Cavendish Historical Society.
Margo Caulfield of the Cavendish Historical Society told voters they will use the church as a museum and as a small venue for concerts lectures, theater and more. The Preservation Trust of Vermont will work with an ad hoc committee to identify funds, write a master plan and select qualified professionals to work on the building.
Caulfield said it would cost taxpayers nothing except for insurance. The Universalist Unitarian Convention of Vermont and Quebec has agreed to deed the building to the town of Cavendish, May 11, she added.MORE IN This Just InA stepfather accused of killing his 2-year-old daughter was released from jail Friday night after... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY:
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Update on Center Alley project, review of opiate talk evening at the library and aldermen want kids to wear helmets while riding bikes around town.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.