WINOOSKI — Police in Winooski say a domestic abuse complaint triggered the evacuation of some tenants in an apartment complex after officers suspected there was a drug lab in a bedroom.
The Burlington Free Press reported that Sunday’s lab scare brought about 50 safety personnel, including firefighters and teams trained to handle clandestine labs and hazardous materials.
When police arrived, they said 20-year-old Pan Costa-Mangina of Winooski told them were no problems. But then his mother approached officers and told them he allegedly threatened some people.
Police said they found a gallon-sized ice tea plastic jug on a milk crate, being cooked in the bedroom. It wasn’t immediately known what it was.
Costa-Mangina was jailed on aggravated domestic assault and unlawful restraint charges.MORE IN Vermont News
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.