WINOOSKI — Police in Winooski say a domestic abuse complaint triggered the evacuation of some tenants in an apartment complex after officers suspected there was a drug lab in a bedroom.
The Burlington Free Press reported that Sunday’s lab scare brought about 50 safety personnel, including firefighters and teams trained to handle clandestine labs and hazardous materials.
When police arrived, they said 20-year-old Pan Costa-Mangina of Winooski told them were no problems. But then his mother approached officers and told them he allegedly threatened some people.
Police said they found a gallon-sized ice tea plastic jug on a milk crate, being cooked in the bedroom. It wasn’t immediately known what it was.
Costa-Mangina was jailed on aggravated domestic assault and unlawful restraint charges.MORE IN Vermont News
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Tibetans' ability to breathe and absorb oxygen at high altitude might have been inherited from their ancient ancestors, our new pals, the Denisovans, more dominant in their day than anybody can remember.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald Editor Rob Mitchell and staff writer Bryanna Allen discuss conflict at Open Door Mission, MSJ's new principal, teens carve marble in West Rutland.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Researchers find new species of hominid, the Denisovans, and follow genetic evidence that place them across a wide swath of the globe before extinction 40,000 years ago.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Proctor estate sale hits serious legal speed bump, Rutland Town wraps up solar project regulations, Patty Minichiello interviews visiting sculptor in West Rutland and Castleton Crackers honored with national award.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Tamerlane, in 1401 on this day, lays waste to Baghdad; 'Rock Around The Clock' hits No. 1 on Billboard chart in 1955, stays there for eight weeks.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Texas towns, shaken by earthquakes linked to fracking for gas and oil, are fed up and scared, want to ban the practice,