WINOOSKI — Police in Winooski say a domestic abuse complaint triggered the evacuation of some tenants in an apartment complex after officers suspected there was a drug lab in a bedroom.
The Burlington Free Press reported that Sunday’s lab scare brought about 50 safety personnel, including firefighters and teams trained to handle clandestine labs and hazardous materials.
When police arrived, they said 20-year-old Pan Costa-Mangina of Winooski told them were no problems. But then his mother approached officers and told them he allegedly threatened some people.
Police said they found a gallon-sized ice tea plastic jug on a milk crate, being cooked in the bedroom. It wasn’t immediately known what it was.
Costa-Mangina was jailed on aggravated domestic assault and unlawful restraint charges.MORE IN Vermont News
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.