Fugitive caught in Bellows FallsMarch 02,2013BELLOWS FALLS — A 22-year-old Vermont man is in prison more than a month after fleeing a drug rehabilitation program.
Bellows Falls police said Zachariah McAllister, of Westminster, was found early Thursday hiding in a basement after officers tracked suspicious footprints in the snow to a cellar bulkhead at the Front Street apartment building.
There were two active warrants for McAllister. The warrants include burglary, unlawful mischief, drug possession and sales charges.
In January, McAllister accepted a plea agreement on burglary and other charges and was given an opportunity to participate in a Brattleboro rehabilitation program.
The Claremont Eagle Times reported that McAllister left the program early on Jan. 24 and he avoided capture for more than a month.
He’s now being held at the Springfield prison.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1520, Ferdinand Magellan is first European to navigate passage that bears his name from the Atlantic to the Pacific sea; in 1582, Will Shakespeare, Anne Hathaway secure their marriage license with 40 pound bond.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1778, Capt. James Cook is first European to set eyes on Maui in Hawaiian Islands; 1922, Pharoah Tutankhamun found after 3000 years; 1909, Hollawood movie star Frances Dee born in Los Angeles.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Hazmat unit called downtown, Boys & Girls Club hosts dinner for members and families, Secret Santa back on the beat, city discusses runoff problem on Mayfield Road, Brandon gets creative about fixes to town roads, sidewalks.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.