Man jailed on domestic chargeFebruary 28,2013Local man denies
A Rutland man who allegedly tackled a woman and fought with her for possession of her purse is behind bars after denying a felony domestic assault charge.
Michael R. Wheeler, 42, pleaded innocent in Rutland criminal court to a charge of second-degree aggravated domestic assault.
Judge Theresa DiMauro set bail at $10,000 for Wheeler, who remains jailed in Springfield.
Wheeler was arrested Sunday night after a woman told police he assaulted her outside his home on Spruce Street in Rutland.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE:Chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing that pollute ground water and the air we breathe come under scrutiny by researchers who find at least eight fracking chemicals toxic to mammals.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: The craze for Omega-3 fatty acids as a dietary supplement in its most popular form, fish oil, has led to depletion of fish stocks in oceans throughout the world. Is this the beginning of the total collapse of global fisheries?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Suspects arrested in Killington bear death, Bryanna Allen and Kevin O'Connor report along the Back to School front, Rutland Plywood site remains an active fire scene as debris continues to smolder.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Forests around Chernobyl, even though dead from massive irradiation after nuclear accident 30 years ago, still have not even begun to decompose, natural balance disrupted at microbial level.
- Dogs have their day at White's Pool
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1609, Galileo demonstrates his telescope to Venetian lawmakers; during the same year, the Spanish Inquisition begins Basque witch trials, Henry Hudson sets sail from Amsterdam to North America, Shakespeare's sonnets published.