$1,100,608; $48,526, or 4.2 percent less than this year’s $1,149,134.
Proposed $1,693,844 is up 6.2 percent, or $98,965, from this year’s $1,594,879 elementary spending plan. Health insurance premiums are up 14 percent.
Proposed secondary education budget of $2,100,625 is up $203,791, or 10.7 percent, from this year’s $1,896,834 budget due mainly to eight more secondary students and high special education costs.
Steve Haines and Dan Garceau are vying for a three-year seat on the town’s Select Board. Incumbent Dorothea Edmunds is being challenged by Cher’allyn Powers for the one-year delinquent tax collector seat. Incumbent Marjorie Abbott faces a challenge from Richard Smith for a three-year auditor post. †
Shall the voters of the town of Danby vote to allocate the sum of twenty-five thousand dollars ($25,000) per year for the next eight years (two hundred thousand dollars, $200,000 in total) to be spent for the purchase of a new fire truck-pumper for the Danby-Mount Tabor Volunteer Fire Department?
Should the Select Board continue to pursue rehabilitation/relocation of town offices?
Residents will gather for a floor meeting at 7:30 p.m. Monday, at Currier Memorial School to act on town and school articles.
Australian ballot voting on education and municipal budgets and the election of officers will take place at the Danby Town Offices on Tuesday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.MORE IN Town Meeting
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day 1739, 'Richard Palmer' identified in prison at York Castle as the notorious outlaw DICK TURPIN; IN 1836, Battle of the Alamo begins near San Antonio de Bexar, Texas; 1896, the Tootsie Roll invented by LEO HIRSCHFELD.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1472, Orkney, Shetland islands put up as collateral by Norway to Scotland in lieu of dowry for MARGARET OF DENMARK on her marriage with JAMES III, king of Scotland; 1962, JOHN GLENN first American to orbit Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City mayoral candidates debate campaign issues; Hartford, Conn., woman still missing; Neal Goswami reports attempts to legislate suicide; local woman loses 100 pounds through TOPS program.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1878, JOHN TUNSTALL murdered near Lincoln, New Mexico, by the outlaw JESSE EVANS; in 1930, ELM FARM OLLIE first cow to fly in aircraft, first to be milked airborne; 1955, nuke test WASP; '79, snow in Sahara.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald News Editor Alan J. Keays and staff writer Gordon Dritschilo discuss stories planned for the February 18, 2015, edition of the newspaper: Winter budgets maxed, legal marijuana, Springfield bank job, USPS slowdown
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1249 AD, ANDRE of LONGJUMEAU is dispatched by LOUIS IX of France to meet the KHAGAN, ruler of the Mongol Empire; in 1804, during 1st Barbary War, STEPHEN DECATUR scuttles the pirate-held USS Philadelphia in Tripoli.