$2,623,149; $77,466, or 2.87 percent, less than this year’s budget of $2,700,615.
Town school district budget
$305,675; $34,355, or 12.7 percent, more than this year’s budget of $271,320.
Castleton/Hubbardton Union School District budget
$5,856,264; $228,154, or 4.05 percent, more than this year’s budget of $5,628,110.
Fair Haven Union High School budget
$7,959,045; $356,470, or 4.7 percent, more than this year’s budget of $7,602,575.
Shall the obligation bonds of the town of Castleton, Vermont, in an amount not to exceed $1,050,000, repayable over 20 years, be issued for the purpose of financing the acquisition of a parcel of land and the construction of a new town office building on said land, all at an estimated total project cost not to exceed $1,050,000?
Article 42 seeks to create a designated reserve fund for the computerization of municipal and land records. It will be funded by taking $3 out of the $10 charged for recording documents with the Town Clerk.
Incumbent Patricia Graziano faces challenges former Selectman Patrick Eagan and John Hale for a three-year seat on the Select Board.
Incumbents James Leamy and Edward O’Shea are facing challengers Thomas Kearns and Wenger Rehlen for two, one-year seats on the Select Board.
Residents will meet for an informational meeting at 7 p.m. Monday at the Jeffords Center Science and Mathematics Auditorium at Castleton State College. The election of town officials and vote of money matters will take place by Australian ballot from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Casella Fine Arts Center at Castleton State College.
http://castletonvermont.org/MORE IN Town Meeting
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.