NEWPORT — A judge has declared a mistrial after jurors were unable to reach a verdict in the trial of a Vermont woman accused of biting her daughter during an argument.
Annie Croteau of Newport told jurors she bit her 15-year-old daughter, Sarah, on the arm in self-defense. She said her daughter grabbed her own arm so roughly she thought it would be broken.
But Sarah Croteau testified she was doing the dishes when her 57-year-old mother came up behind her, pinched her in the rear while grabbing a cellphone from her back pocket, and then bit her when she tried to defend herself.
The Caledonian-Record reported that jurors in Orleans County were unable to reach a verdict last Friday.MORE IN Vermont NewsSOUTH BURLINGTON — Republican gubernatorial candidate Scott Milne is proposing using state funds... Full StoryMONTPELIER — Facing off in their last debate ahead of Tuesday’s midterm election, the top three... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.