Former Vermont fire chief faces embezzlement chargeThe Associated Press | February 26,2013BENNINGTON — A former Vermont fire chief has been accused of fraud and embezzlement stemming from a department-sponsored raffle.
Bennington Police Chief Paul Doucette says people who won prizes in the raffle never received them. They also say money paid for raffle tickets was never turned over to the department.
Joseph Hayes was Bennington Rural Fire Department chief. He lost his bid to be re-elected as chief last month.
The Bennington Banner reports (http://bit.ly/XDg3A5) Hayes was cited for false pretenses and embezzlement. His wife, Angela, was cited as being an accessory to the false pretenses charge.
Hayes is on probation after pleading guilty last month to a disorderly conduct charge. That stemmed from an incident at an emergency scene last June where Hayes threw a flashlight at a vehicle.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.