Former Vermont fire chief faces embezzlement chargeThe Associated Press | February 26,2013BENNINGTON — A former Vermont fire chief has been accused of fraud and embezzlement stemming from a department-sponsored raffle.
Bennington Police Chief Paul Doucette says people who won prizes in the raffle never received them. They also say money paid for raffle tickets was never turned over to the department.
Joseph Hayes was Bennington Rural Fire Department chief. He lost his bid to be re-elected as chief last month.
The Bennington Banner reports (http://bit.ly/XDg3A5) Hayes was cited for false pretenses and embezzlement. His wife, Angela, was cited as being an accessory to the false pretenses charge.
Hayes is on probation after pleading guilty last month to a disorderly conduct charge. That stemmed from an incident at an emergency scene last June where Hayes threw a flashlight at a vehicle.MORE IN This Just InBig movie day at Town Hall Theater Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Researchers find new species of hominid, the Denisovans, and follow genetic evidence that place them across a wide swath of the globe before extinction 40,000 years ago.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Proctor estate sale hits serious legal speed bump, Rutland Town wraps up solar project regulations, Patty Minichiello interviews visiting sculptor in West Rutland and Castleton Crackers honored with national award.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Tamerlane, in 1401 on this day, lays waste to Baghdad; 'Rock Around The Clock' hits No. 1 on Billboard chart in 1955, stays there for eight weeks.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Texas towns, shaken by earthquakes linked to fracking for gas and oil, are fed up and scared, want to ban the practice,
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Fracking linked to 100-fold increase in Oklahoma earthquakes.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Roswell: Weather balloon, invasion from outer space or primitive spy op? You decide. Francis Gary Powers faces the music on this day and it's Russian pop hits, Elisabeth Kubler-Ross born this day and the Mahatma eschews violence.