Former Vermont fire chief faces embezzlement chargeThe Associated Press | February 26,2013BENNINGTON — A former Vermont fire chief has been accused of fraud and embezzlement stemming from a department-sponsored raffle.
Bennington Police Chief Paul Doucette says people who won prizes in the raffle never received them. They also say money paid for raffle tickets was never turned over to the department.
Joseph Hayes was Bennington Rural Fire Department chief. He lost his bid to be re-elected as chief last month.
The Bennington Banner reports (http://bit.ly/XDg3A5) Hayes was cited for false pretenses and embezzlement. His wife, Angela, was cited as being an accessory to the false pretenses charge.
Hayes is on probation after pleading guilty last month to a disorderly conduct charge. That stemmed from an incident at an emergency scene last June where Hayes threw a flashlight at a vehicle.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1898, Nelson Miles leads American troops into Puerto Rico during Spanish-American War, Bob Dylan electrifies Newport Folk Festival in 1965, author and longshoreman Eric Hoffer born this day in 1902.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: No charges to be filed inconnection with crash of city police cruiser, farmers group turn to Internet to raise money for solar project, Street Talk polls passersby about legal marijuana.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information for Friday, July 25, and easily digestible news tidbits: Mysterious enormous hole in the Siberian tundra baffles scientists.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Ever wonder why the otherwise straight-lined Appalachian chain's got a big crimp in it in Pennsylvania and and New York?