Snowmobile crash kills NY manFebruary 25,2013PERU ó A New York state man died in a snowmobile crash Sunday morning, according to Vermont State Police.
Police said Verouzhan Bagramian, 45, of Cropseyville, N.Y., was riding east on a trail toward Griffith Lake when the left ski of his 2011 Ski-Doo clipped a ledge on the east side of the trail. Bagramian lost control and was thrown from his sled into a grove of trees on the right side of the trail, police said. Bagramian was wearing a helmet but it came off during the crash, police said. Police later found the helmet with the chin strap still secured.
Bagramianís fellow travelers called 911 and performed CPR. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Bagramianís death was the second snowmobile fatality in the area in 36 hours. Around 11 p.m. Friday, Batholomew Dougherty, 25, of Pittsfield, died after crashing his 2003 Ski-Doo on Tweed River Drive, police said.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.