Snowmobile crash kills NY manFebruary 25,2013PERU ó A New York state man died in a snowmobile crash Sunday morning, according to Vermont State Police.
Police said Verouzhan Bagramian, 45, of Cropseyville, N.Y., was riding east on a trail toward Griffith Lake when the left ski of his 2011 Ski-Doo clipped a ledge on the east side of the trail. Bagramian lost control and was thrown from his sled into a grove of trees on the right side of the trail, police said. Bagramian was wearing a helmet but it came off during the crash, police said. Police later found the helmet with the chin strap still secured.
Bagramianís fellow travelers called 911 and performed CPR. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Bagramianís death was the second snowmobile fatality in the area in 36 hours. Around 11 p.m. Friday, Batholomew Dougherty, 25, of Pittsfield, died after crashing his 2003 Ski-Doo on Tweed River Drive, police said.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.