Robert J. Worthen Sr.February 25,2013
Robert J. Worthen Sr.Robert J. Worthen Sr.
FAIR HAVEN — Robert J. “Bob” Worthen Sr., 86, died February 23, 2013, after a brief illness.
He was born on April 30, 1926, in Buenos Aries, Argentina, the son of Robert and Angelica (Saravia) Worthen. The family moved to New York City in 1930 and then to Vermont in 1940.
Bob graduated from the Fair Haven High School and joined the U.S. Air Force in 1943, serving in Italy; following his honorable discharge, he served in the Army Reserve for 17 years.
He married Pauline (Toddy) Worthen in 1944.
Bob was employed in the slate industry for several years and then became a letter carrier for the Fair Haven Post Office where he served for 32 years. During his retirement, he delivered Meals on Wheels.
He was a selectman for the Town of Fair Haven for 13 years and also served on the Planning Commission.
Bob was a communicant of Our Lady of Seven Dolors Catholic Church, chairman of the Bishop’s Fund for several years, and served as a minister of the altar and worked for the Youth Fund.
He enjoyed hunting, fishing and trapping. He was an avid reader of history and biographies and enjoyed dancing and family celebrations.
Survivors include his wife of 68 years, Tod (McCann) Worthen; four children, Rob Worthen and his wife Julie of Oveido, Fla., Judy Gevry and her husband Armand of Fair Haven, Michael Worthen and his wife Margaret of Raleigh, N.C., and Jane Eaton and her husband Harold Jr. of Woodstock; 14 grandchildren, eight great-grandchildren; a brother, Hugh Worthen and his wife Marilyn of Bluffton, S.C.; several nieces and nephews.
He was predeceased by his parents.
There will be no public calling hours.
Funeral services will be held 11 a.m. Wednesday at the Our Lady of Seven Dolors Church. A reception will follow at the Fair Haven Inn.
Burial will be at a later date in the St. Mary’s Cemetery.
Arrangements are with the Durfee Funeral Home.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the American Legion Post #49, 72 South Main St., Fair Haven, VT 05743; or to the Foley Cancer Center, 160 Allen St., Rutland, VT 05701.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?