Robert J. Worthen Sr.February 25,2013
Robert J. Worthen Sr.Robert J. Worthen Sr.
FAIR HAVEN — Robert J. “Bob” Worthen Sr., 86, died February 23, 2013, after a brief illness.
He was born on April 30, 1926, in Buenos Aries, Argentina, the son of Robert and Angelica (Saravia) Worthen. The family moved to New York City in 1930 and then to Vermont in 1940.
Bob graduated from the Fair Haven High School and joined the U.S. Air Force in 1943, serving in Italy; following his honorable discharge, he served in the Army Reserve for 17 years.
He married Pauline (Toddy) Worthen in 1944.
Bob was employed in the slate industry for several years and then became a letter carrier for the Fair Haven Post Office where he served for 32 years. During his retirement, he delivered Meals on Wheels.
He was a selectman for the Town of Fair Haven for 13 years and also served on the Planning Commission.
Bob was a communicant of Our Lady of Seven Dolors Catholic Church, chairman of the Bishop’s Fund for several years, and served as a minister of the altar and worked for the Youth Fund.
He enjoyed hunting, fishing and trapping. He was an avid reader of history and biographies and enjoyed dancing and family celebrations.
Survivors include his wife of 68 years, Tod (McCann) Worthen; four children, Rob Worthen and his wife Julie of Oveido, Fla., Judy Gevry and her husband Armand of Fair Haven, Michael Worthen and his wife Margaret of Raleigh, N.C., and Jane Eaton and her husband Harold Jr. of Woodstock; 14 grandchildren, eight great-grandchildren; a brother, Hugh Worthen and his wife Marilyn of Bluffton, S.C.; several nieces and nephews.
He was predeceased by his parents.
There will be no public calling hours.
Funeral services will be held 11 a.m. Wednesday at the Our Lady of Seven Dolors Church. A reception will follow at the Fair Haven Inn.
Burial will be at a later date in the St. Mary’s Cemetery.
Arrangements are with the Durfee Funeral Home.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the American Legion Post #49, 72 South Main St., Fair Haven, VT 05743; or to the Foley Cancer Center, 160 Allen St., Rutland, VT 05701.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.