Robert J. Worthen Sr.February 25,2013
Robert J. Worthen Sr.Robert J. Worthen Sr.
FAIR HAVEN — Robert J. “Bob” Worthen Sr., 86, died February 23, 2013, after a brief illness.
He was born on April 30, 1926, in Buenos Aries, Argentina, the son of Robert and Angelica (Saravia) Worthen. The family moved to New York City in 1930 and then to Vermont in 1940.
Bob graduated from the Fair Haven High School and joined the U.S. Air Force in 1943, serving in Italy; following his honorable discharge, he served in the Army Reserve for 17 years.
He married Pauline (Toddy) Worthen in 1944.
Bob was employed in the slate industry for several years and then became a letter carrier for the Fair Haven Post Office where he served for 32 years. During his retirement, he delivered Meals on Wheels.
He was a selectman for the Town of Fair Haven for 13 years and also served on the Planning Commission.
Bob was a communicant of Our Lady of Seven Dolors Catholic Church, chairman of the Bishop’s Fund for several years, and served as a minister of the altar and worked for the Youth Fund.
He enjoyed hunting, fishing and trapping. He was an avid reader of history and biographies and enjoyed dancing and family celebrations.
Survivors include his wife of 68 years, Tod (McCann) Worthen; four children, Rob Worthen and his wife Julie of Oveido, Fla., Judy Gevry and her husband Armand of Fair Haven, Michael Worthen and his wife Margaret of Raleigh, N.C., and Jane Eaton and her husband Harold Jr. of Woodstock; 14 grandchildren, eight great-grandchildren; a brother, Hugh Worthen and his wife Marilyn of Bluffton, S.C.; several nieces and nephews.
He was predeceased by his parents.
There will be no public calling hours.
Funeral services will be held 11 a.m. Wednesday at the Our Lady of Seven Dolors Church. A reception will follow at the Fair Haven Inn.
Burial will be at a later date in the St. Mary’s Cemetery.
Arrangements are with the Durfee Funeral Home.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the American Legion Post #49, 72 South Main St., Fair Haven, VT 05743; or to the Foley Cancer Center, 160 Allen St., Rutland, VT 05701.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1898, Nelson Miles leads American troops into Puerto Rico during Spanish-American War, Bob Dylan electrifies Newport Folk Festival in 1965, author and longshoreman Eric Hoffer born this day in 1902.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: No charges to be filed inconnection with crash of city police cruiser, farmers group turn to Internet to raise money for solar project, Street Talk polls passersby about legal marijuana.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information for Friday, July 25, and easily digestible news tidbits: Mysterious enormous hole in the Siberian tundra baffles scientists.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Ever wonder why the otherwise straight-lined Appalachian chain's got a big crimp in it in Pennsylvania and and New York?