Robert J. Worthen Sr.February 25,2013
Robert J. Worthen Sr.Robert J. Worthen Sr.
FAIR HAVEN — Robert J. “Bob” Worthen Sr., 86, died February 23, 2013, after a brief illness.
He was born on April 30, 1926, in Buenos Aries, Argentina, the son of Robert and Angelica (Saravia) Worthen. The family moved to New York City in 1930 and then to Vermont in 1940.
Bob graduated from the Fair Haven High School and joined the U.S. Air Force in 1943, serving in Italy; following his honorable discharge, he served in the Army Reserve for 17 years.
He married Pauline (Toddy) Worthen in 1944.
Bob was employed in the slate industry for several years and then became a letter carrier for the Fair Haven Post Office where he served for 32 years. During his retirement, he delivered Meals on Wheels.
He was a selectman for the Town of Fair Haven for 13 years and also served on the Planning Commission.
Bob was a communicant of Our Lady of Seven Dolors Catholic Church, chairman of the Bishop’s Fund for several years, and served as a minister of the altar and worked for the Youth Fund.
He enjoyed hunting, fishing and trapping. He was an avid reader of history and biographies and enjoyed dancing and family celebrations.
Survivors include his wife of 68 years, Tod (McCann) Worthen; four children, Rob Worthen and his wife Julie of Oveido, Fla., Judy Gevry and her husband Armand of Fair Haven, Michael Worthen and his wife Margaret of Raleigh, N.C., and Jane Eaton and her husband Harold Jr. of Woodstock; 14 grandchildren, eight great-grandchildren; a brother, Hugh Worthen and his wife Marilyn of Bluffton, S.C.; several nieces and nephews.
He was predeceased by his parents.
There will be no public calling hours.
Funeral services will be held 11 a.m. Wednesday at the Our Lady of Seven Dolors Church. A reception will follow at the Fair Haven Inn.
Burial will be at a later date in the St. Mary’s Cemetery.
Arrangements are with the Durfee Funeral Home.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the American Legion Post #49, 72 South Main St., Fair Haven, VT 05743; or to the Foley Cancer Center, 160 Allen St., Rutland, VT 05701.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Tibetans' ability to breathe and absorb oxygen at high altitude might have been inherited from their ancient ancestors, our new pals, the Denisovans, more dominant in their day than anybody can remember.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald Editor Rob Mitchell and staff writer Bryanna Allen discuss conflict at Open Door Mission, MSJ's new principal, teens carve marble in West Rutland.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Researchers find new species of hominid, the Denisovans, and follow genetic evidence that place them across a wide swath of the globe before extinction 40,000 years ago.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Proctor estate sale hits serious legal speed bump, Rutland Town wraps up solar project regulations, Patty Minichiello interviews visiting sculptor in West Rutland and Castleton Crackers honored with national award.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Tamerlane, in 1401 on this day, lays waste to Baghdad; 'Rock Around The Clock' hits No. 1 on Billboard chart in 1955, stays there for eight weeks.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Texas towns, shaken by earthquakes linked to fracking for gas and oil, are fed up and scared, want to ban the practice,