Smokers have rights, too
I am a nonsmoker and have never been so appalled and shocked until I read the article about no smoking in apartments. I donít agree with the decision to force people to not only go outside to enjoy a cigarette but to be 25 feet away from the buildings. If these people are paying to live there, they should be able to smoke inside their homes if they choose to.
This no-smoking thing is going too far. What happened to peopleís rights? The last I knew everybody was supposed to be free to make their own choices and decisions, but it seems like that only applies to people who donít smoke.
Iíve been around smokers my entire life, and it has never bothered me. Itís their choice to smoke, and itís not up to me or anybody else to judge them for a decision that they make. Maybe everybody should stop and think about what theyíre doing and stop pinpointing smokers.
Just leave them alone and let them live their life.
RutlandMORE IN Letters
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Scientists call for more research on the temporal and lasting effects of nuclear fallout on plants and animals in proximity to Japan’s Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear power station where changes at the molecular level were found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 410 CE, Visigoths sack Rome and it isn't the first time, either; in 1859, Titusville, Pa., the first commercially viable oil well comes in; in 1918, the only World War I battle fought on U.S. soil in Nogales, Ariz.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Archaelogists uncover artifacts proving that late neolithic Egyptians, pre-dating the Pyramids of Giza, practiced mummification to prepare their dead for the afterlife, far earlier than presupposed.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE:Chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing that pollute ground water and the air we breathe come under scrutiny by researchers who find at least eight fracking chemicals toxic to mammals.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: The craze for Omega-3 fatty acids as a dietary supplement in its most popular form, fish oil, has led to depletion of fish stocks in oceans throughout the world. Is this the beginning of the total collapse of global fisheries?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Suspects arrested in Killington bear death, Bryanna Allen and Kevin O'Connor report along the Back to School front, Rutland Plywood site remains an active fire scene as debris continues to smolder.