to close school
A petition has been drafted for voters’ signatures to be submitted to the Castleton Hubbardton Union 42 School Board at their first regular meeting in March 2013.
The petition requests a special meeting for a vote to cease operating the Castleton Village School on Mechanic Street in Castleton at the end of the current school year. The property would be turned over to the town of Castleton.
Enrollment in the Castleton elementary schools has been declining for years, falling 3 percent last year and 4 percent this year. The budget for operating both schools has risen from $5.3 million to a projected amount of $5.8 million for the 2013-2014 school year. The savings to taxpayers in closing the Castleton Village School and accommodating all students at the Castleton Elementary School would be considerable.
Petitions are available for signature at the town offices and local businesses.
CastletonMORE IN Letters
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.