NEWPORT ó Officials are concerned that a mobile methadone clinic in Vermont is not safe after a recent attempted robbery.
They feel the clinic, which parks each morning at the Newport city recycling center, isnít secure enough after a man approached a staffer last month at its nearby administrative headquarters. They say he demanded methadone and ran away without any after the staffer said she didnít have access to the drug, which is kept locked.
The Caledonian-Record reported that officials have suggested to the City Council that the treatment center be relocated to an office with a secured and locked entry.
Seven years ago, the city agreed to the mobile clinic. The idea initially was that it would serve other communities, too. But many patients have been going to the Newport location.MORE IN Vermont NewsMONTPELIER ó Different people have different stars. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.