Committee gets testimony on tar sands pipelineFebruary 19,2013The Associated Press
MONTPELIER — A committee of the Vermont House is hearing about the possible shipment of tar sands oil on a pipeline that crosses northern Vermont.
The CEO of the Portland Pipeline Company, which owns the line, is due to appear Tuesday before the House Committee on Fish, Wildlife and Water Resources.
Larry Wilson said in recent legislative testimony that he would welcome an opportunity to reverse the flow of the Montreal-to-Portland pipeline, but he currently knows of no plans to do so.
Environmental groups have been warning of the likelihood that tar sands would be shipped through Vermont.
The committee is weighing whether Vermont’s Act 250 land-use law should apply to the shipment of heavy oil through the state.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1898, Nelson Miles leads American troops into Puerto Rico during Spanish-American War, Bob Dylan electrifies Newport Folk Festival in 1965, author and longshoreman Eric Hoffer born this day in 1902.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: No charges to be filed inconnection with crash of city police cruiser, farmers group turn to Internet to raise money for solar project, Street Talk polls passersby about legal marijuana.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information for Friday, July 25, and easily digestible news tidbits: Mysterious enormous hole in the Siberian tundra baffles scientists.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Ever wonder why the otherwise straight-lined Appalachian chain's got a big crimp in it in Pennsylvania and and New York?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Scott Milne opens campaign for governor's office, crime statistics fall in city, new home for homeless prevention center, traffic cameras are not watching you, capital panel hears testimony about protecting children.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!