Committee gets testimony on tar sands pipelineFebruary 19,2013The Associated Press
MONTPELIER — A committee of the Vermont House is hearing about the possible shipment of tar sands oil on a pipeline that crosses northern Vermont.
The CEO of the Portland Pipeline Company, which owns the line, is due to appear Tuesday before the House Committee on Fish, Wildlife and Water Resources.
Larry Wilson said in recent legislative testimony that he would welcome an opportunity to reverse the flow of the Montreal-to-Portland pipeline, but he currently knows of no plans to do so.
Environmental groups have been warning of the likelihood that tar sands would be shipped through Vermont.
The committee is weighing whether Vermont’s Act 250 land-use law should apply to the shipment of heavy oil through the state.MORE IN This Just InPEARL HARBOR, Hawaii — About 2,500 people gathered at Pearl Harbor on Saturday to remember those... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- VIDEO: The play that's under appeal from the DIII state football championships
- VIDEO: Downhill excitement at Silverheels Cup at Okemo
- VIDEO: Woodstock takes on U-32 football
- VIDEO: 2013 Vermont Amateur Golf Tournament
- VIDEO: Police investigate Pittsford homicide
- VIDEO: Rutland High School Graduation