Woman jailed on drug chargeFebruary 18,2013Police said a Rutland woman wanted for failing to appear at her arraignment for crack cocaine possession was in possession of crack cocaine during a traffic stop Friday night.
Shortly before midnight, police stopped Chantelle M. Dewey, 33, on Curtis Avenue after recognizing her and knowing she had an active arrest warrant for not showing up Feb. 11 in Rutland criminal court to answer charges of possessing crack cocaine, narcotics and marijuana, stemming from an incident Dec. 13.
After executing a search warrant on Dewey’s vehicle Saturday, police allegedly found 5 grams of crack cocaine. Sunday, police located Dewey on State Street and charged her with felony possession of crack cocaine. Police also charged Dewey with violating the conditions of her release on prior charges of unlawful mischief and disorderly conduct.
Dewey was held in Rutland jail on $25,000 bail and is scheduled for arraignment Tuesday in Rutland criminal court.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1778, Capt. James Cook is first European to set eyes on Maui in Hawaiian Islands; 1922, Pharoah Tutankhamun found after 3000 years; 1909, Hollawood movie star Frances Dee born in Los Angeles.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Hazmat unit called downtown, Boys & Girls Club hosts dinner for members and families, Secret Santa back on the beat, city discusses runoff problem on Mayfield Road, Brandon gets creative about fixes to town roads, sidewalks.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.