Woman jailed on drug chargeFebruary 18,2013Police said a Rutland woman wanted for failing to appear at her arraignment for crack cocaine possession was in possession of crack cocaine during a traffic stop Friday night.
Shortly before midnight, police stopped Chantelle M. Dewey, 33, on Curtis Avenue after recognizing her and knowing she had an active arrest warrant for not showing up Feb. 11 in Rutland criminal court to answer charges of possessing crack cocaine, narcotics and marijuana, stemming from an incident Dec. 13.
After executing a search warrant on Dewey’s vehicle Saturday, police allegedly found 5 grams of crack cocaine. Sunday, police located Dewey on State Street and charged her with felony possession of crack cocaine. Police also charged Dewey with violating the conditions of her release on prior charges of unlawful mischief and disorderly conduct.
Dewey was held in Rutland jail on $25,000 bail and is scheduled for arraignment Tuesday in Rutland criminal court.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.