COLCHESTER — Colchester police say a St. Michael’s College student remains hospitalized after jumping off a bridge and falling 40 feet while running from security officers.
Police said Friday night’s chain of events began when the man allegedly destroyed merchandise at a convenience store and was chased by college security when he was spotted running through campus.
Police told the Burlington Free Press that the man jumped over the rail of a bridge without warning and fell about 40 feet onto railroad tracks below.
The man was taken to Fletcher Allen hospital, where he was treated in the intensive care unit and remained hospitalized Saturday night.
Police say the man is an out-of-state student at St. Michael’s College, but they withheld releasing his name pending notification of his family.MORE IN Vermont NewsMONTPELIER — Different people have different stars. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.