Jeb Wallace-Brodeur / Staff Photo
Customers head for the Blockbuster video rental store in Berlin last week. The local branch of the national chain is closing.BERLIN — The Blockbuster Video store on the Barre-Montpelier Road began liquidating its inventory recently and town officials say the store is expected to close for good by April 1.
The store’s manager declined to comment and the company’s corporate headquarters did not return phone calls. But Town Administrator Jeff Schulz said he learned of the scheduled closing date during a recent conversation involving the tax bill for the store that is located in a building it shares with Bond Auto Parts next to Kinney Drugs.
Used DVDs and games are being sold at cut-rate prices as part of the sale.
The closing of the Berlin store is presumably part of Blockbuster’s recently announced plan to close 300 of its 800 U.S. stores, laying off about 3,000 nationwide.MORE IN National / World BusinessLOS ANGELES — It’s back, and it’s back on a scale that is well matched to this car-centric city. Full StoryThe stock market closed out its fifth straight week of gains with another record high on Friday. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.