Man facing child porn chargesFebruary 14,2013Man faces child porn charges
WHITE RIVER JUNCTION — A Springfield man is facing a felony charge of possession of child pornography after his horrified roommate turned him in to police.
Police said the roommate found a computer disk in their shared apartment that contained videos of young children performing sex acts with adults and, in at least one of the videos, an animal.
Christopher Theroux, 31, pleaded innocent to a single count of possession of child pornography and was released from the Windsor County Courthouse in downtown White River Junction after he signed for a $5,000 unsecured appearance bond.
Theroux’s roommate told police that he initially refused to believe the items he came across were deliberately collected by Theroux but he said after snooping into the history files of a shared computer he became convinced that something illegal was going on, according to an affidavit Springfield Police Officer Anthony Moriglioni filed with the court.
Springfield Police executed a search warrant and seized several computers from the apartment in November. Moriglioni said that when Theroux was interviewed in February, he admitted to downloading child pornography deliberately.
“He advised that he had deleted most of them (but) he had been viewing child pornography for approximately 15 years,” Moriglioni wrote.
Theroux faces a maximum potential penalty of up to five years in jail and registration as a sex offender if convicted.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.