Man facing child porn chargesFebruary 14,2013Man faces child porn charges
WHITE RIVER JUNCTION — A Springfield man is facing a felony charge of possession of child pornography after his horrified roommate turned him in to police.
Police said the roommate found a computer disk in their shared apartment that contained videos of young children performing sex acts with adults and, in at least one of the videos, an animal.
Christopher Theroux, 31, pleaded innocent to a single count of possession of child pornography and was released from the Windsor County Courthouse in downtown White River Junction after he signed for a $5,000 unsecured appearance bond.
Theroux’s roommate told police that he initially refused to believe the items he came across were deliberately collected by Theroux but he said after snooping into the history files of a shared computer he became convinced that something illegal was going on, according to an affidavit Springfield Police Officer Anthony Moriglioni filed with the court.
Springfield Police executed a search warrant and seized several computers from the apartment in November. Moriglioni said that when Theroux was interviewed in February, he admitted to downloading child pornography deliberately.
“He advised that he had deleted most of them (but) he had been viewing child pornography for approximately 15 years,” Moriglioni wrote.
Theroux faces a maximum potential penalty of up to five years in jail and registration as a sex offender if convicted.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.