Man facing child porn chargesFebruary 14,2013Man faces child porn charges
WHITE RIVER JUNCTION — A Springfield man is facing a felony charge of possession of child pornography after his horrified roommate turned him in to police.
Police said the roommate found a computer disk in their shared apartment that contained videos of young children performing sex acts with adults and, in at least one of the videos, an animal.
Christopher Theroux, 31, pleaded innocent to a single count of possession of child pornography and was released from the Windsor County Courthouse in downtown White River Junction after he signed for a $5,000 unsecured appearance bond.
Theroux’s roommate told police that he initially refused to believe the items he came across were deliberately collected by Theroux but he said after snooping into the history files of a shared computer he became convinced that something illegal was going on, according to an affidavit Springfield Police Officer Anthony Moriglioni filed with the court.
Springfield Police executed a search warrant and seized several computers from the apartment in November. Moriglioni said that when Theroux was interviewed in February, he admitted to downloading child pornography deliberately.
“He advised that he had deleted most of them (but) he had been viewing child pornography for approximately 15 years,” Moriglioni wrote.
Theroux faces a maximum potential penalty of up to five years in jail and registration as a sex offender if convicted.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.