Perotti out as superintedent, McLaughlin inBy Christian Avard
Staff Writer | February 14,2013SPRINGFIELD — Superintendent of Schools Frank Perotti is stepping down from the job he has held for four years, the School Board said.
Scott Adnams, Springfield School Board chairman, announced at a special School Board meeting Tuesday night that Perotti will take a leave of absence that will last for the remainder of his contract. Perotti’s contract is set to expire June 30.
Perotti submitted a leave of absence request Monday, stating a desire for the leave and the district’s interest in having the new superintendent begin at an earlier time. The School Board appointed Assistant Superintendent Zach McLaughlin as interim superintendent while Perotti is out.
Perotti was not present at Tuesday’s School Board meeting.
Perotti’s leave of absence will begin March 1 and end June 30. He will still receive his salary and benefits, a statement from the district said.
During his leave of absence, Perotti may utilize his remaining paid leave days and he is not required to perform administrative duties as superintendent. He is still authorized to attend the New England League of Middle Schools’ conference at the expense of the district and the School Board will pay Perotti for 17 accrued vacation days, the statement said.
Perotti began as a National Teacher Corps Intern and was assigned to inner city schools in Omaha, Nebraska, according to his biography on the Springfield School District website. He graduated from Cornell University with a degree in Agricultural Economics and Business Management and has taught special education and high risk students.
His administrative roles have included elementary school principal, director of special education, assistant superintendent and middle school principal and consultant for the Northeast Regional Center for Drug Free Schools and Communities.
The School Board chose not to renew Perotti’s contract in April 2012. Perotti and School Board Vice Chairwoman Jeanice Garfield were not available for comment and Adnams declined to comment on why.
Perotti’s annual salary is $123,800 plus benefits until June 30. McLaughln has a two-year contract and will be paid an annual salary of $122,500 plus benefits.
firstname.lastname@example.orgMORE IN Southern VermontWALLINGFORD — Graduates of Wallingford High School are invited to attend a meeting tonight to... Full StoryTimmy MacDonnell, who has taught mathematics at Springfield High School and coached last year's... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day 1739, 'Richard Palmer' identified in prison at York Castle as the notorious outlaw DICK TURPIN; IN 1836, Battle of the Alamo begins near San Antonio de Bexar, Texas; 1896, the Tootsie Roll invented by LEO HIRSCHFELD.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1472, Orkney, Shetland islands put up as collateral by Norway to Scotland in lieu of dowry for MARGARET OF DENMARK on her marriage with JAMES III, king of Scotland; 1962, JOHN GLENN first American to orbit Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City mayoral candidates debate campaign issues; Hartford, Conn., woman still missing; Neal Goswami reports attempts to legislate suicide; local woman loses 100 pounds through TOPS program.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1878, JOHN TUNSTALL murdered near Lincoln, New Mexico, by the outlaw JESSE EVANS; in 1930, ELM FARM OLLIE first cow to fly in aircraft, first to be milked airborne; 1955, nuke test WASP; '79, snow in Sahara.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald News Editor Alan J. Keays and staff writer Gordon Dritschilo discuss stories planned for the February 18, 2015, edition of the newspaper: Winter budgets maxed, legal marijuana, Springfield bank job, USPS slowdown
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1249 AD, ANDRE of LONGJUMEAU is dispatched by LOUIS IX of France to meet the KHAGAN, ruler of the Mongol Empire; in 1804, during 1st Barbary War, STEPHEN DECATUR scuttles the pirate-held USS Philadelphia in Tripoli.