FERRISBUGH - A 21-year-old local man is facing his third charge of drunken driving after police stopped him on an all-terrain vehicle earlier today.
Around 1:20 a.m., state police stopped Patrick P. McCarthy, of Ferrisburg, as he drove a four-wheeler at what police described as an “excessive rate of speed” along Greenbush Road. Police said McCarthy had been drinking.
Police charged McCarthy with drunken driving, third offense, a felony, as well as driving with a suspended license and careless or negligent operation of a motor vehicle.
State law prohibits the operation of all-terrain vehicles on public roads, unless the road is not maintained during the winter. Greenbush Road is maintained by the town during the winter, according to town officials.
McCarthy is scheduled to appear in Addison criminal court March 4.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.