FERRISBUGH - A 21-year-old local man is facing his third charge of drunken driving after police stopped him on an all-terrain vehicle earlier today.
Around 1:20 a.m., state police stopped Patrick P. McCarthy, of Ferrisburg, as he drove a four-wheeler at what police described as an “excessive rate of speed” along Greenbush Road. Police said McCarthy had been drinking.
Police charged McCarthy with drunken driving, third offense, a felony, as well as driving with a suspended license and careless or negligent operation of a motor vehicle.
State law prohibits the operation of all-terrain vehicles on public roads, unless the road is not maintained during the winter. Greenbush Road is maintained by the town during the winter, according to town officials.
McCarthy is scheduled to appear in Addison criminal court March 4.MORE IN This Just InBy Erin Mansfield Full StoryThe Associated Press Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.