FERRISBUGH - A 21-year-old local man is facing his third charge of drunken driving after police stopped him on an all-terrain vehicle earlier today.
Around 1:20 a.m., state police stopped Patrick P. McCarthy, of Ferrisburg, as he drove a four-wheeler at what police described as an “excessive rate of speed” along Greenbush Road. Police said McCarthy had been drinking.
Police charged McCarthy with drunken driving, third offense, a felony, as well as driving with a suspended license and careless or negligent operation of a motor vehicle.
State law prohibits the operation of all-terrain vehicles on public roads, unless the road is not maintained during the winter. Greenbush Road is maintained by the town during the winter, according to town officials.
McCarthy is scheduled to appear in Addison criminal court March 4.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 365 CE, eastern Mediterranean rocked by high magnitude earthquake and tsunami, in 1865, Davis 'Little Dave' Tutt meets Wild Bill Hickock in Springfield, Mo., to settle differences.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Pesticides in soil and ground water are killing not only honey bees and other useful insects, but songbirds as well.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Judge issues deposition order in for city police corporal's lawsuit against the department, market for marijuana-laced edibles en fuego in at least two states, West Rutland truck fire consumes all driver's earthly possessions.