BRATTLEBORO — The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency says one community in Vermont and two in Maine will receive technical assistance to pursue sustainable growth that encourages local economic development while safeguarding people’s health and the environment.
Brattleboro, along with Brunswick and Portland in Maine, are among 43 communities in 27 states across the country chosen to receive the assistance through the EPA’s Blocks for Sustainable Communities program.
EPA staff and national experts will conduct one- or two-day workshops focusing on the specific sustainability goal each community chose in their initial application to EPA.
Some of the tools offered this year included projects called a Green Building Toolkit, Land Use Strategies to Protect Water Quality, and Using Smart Growth to Produce Economic and Fiscal Health.MORE IN Vermont NewsCOLCHESTER — The Lake Champlain Chamber Music Festival opened Sunday with one of the most... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE:Chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing that pollute ground water and the air we breathe come under scrutiny by researchers who find at least eight fracking chemicals toxic to mammals.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: The craze for Omega-3 fatty acids as a dietary supplement in its most popular form, fish oil, has led to depletion of fish stocks in oceans throughout the world. Is this the beginning of the total collapse of global fisheries?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Suspects arrested in Killington bear death, Bryanna Allen and Kevin O'Connor report along the Back to School front, Rutland Plywood site remains an active fire scene as debris continues to smolder.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Forests around Chernobyl, even though dead from massive irradiation after nuclear accident 30 years ago, still have not even begun to decompose, natural balance disrupted at microbial level.
- Dogs have their day at White's Pool
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1609, Galileo demonstrates his telescope to Venetian lawmakers; during the same year, the Spanish Inquisition begins Basque witch trials, Henry Hudson sets sail from Amsterdam to North America, Shakespeare's sonnets published.